With every new season, the idea of reinventing ourselves becomes more and more appealing, having all of these fresh trends we cannot wait to try out practically make the decision easier for us. Amongst them, the plaid and tartan print quickly became the star trend, reinventing the schoolgirl attire with the coolest approach in order to become suitable for the modern-day woman. This super versatile print would perfectly fit a chic wardrobe, a laid-back style or a vintage closet, without ever looking misplaced. The checked pattern works great with chunky knits, leather pieces, tailored suits, fur and denim, being rather indispensable, if not trendy, during the cold season. Michael Kors was amongst the first designers to bravely reintroduce this traditional print into the fashion circuit with his elegant Fall 2012 collection. In order to successfully embrace this classic print and welcome it into your own closet, here’s our 8 favorite plaid and tartan pieces that will hopefully inspire your future purchases. They make this trend look so effortless and chic that you’re definitely going to love them. Ready?
01. The Plaid Coat. Red on black, red on navy, orange on black, yellow on brown, green on navy and the list could go on forever. The color combinations in a cozy and stylish wool coat are endless, making it easier for you to find that dream piece that would totally suit your style. This ladylike wardrobe staple will complement any outfit during fall and winter, making it look modern and oh-so-chic. Investing in a great looking plaid coat might be a smart decision this season.
02. The Plaid Blazer. Olivia Palermo totally rocked her plaid double-breasted Tibi blazer during a romantic stroll in Paris. The style icon looked super chic in her laid-back outfit, pairing the trendy blazer with a knitted sweater, skinny jeans and a wine crossbody bag. Her preppy cool look is nothing but inspiring. If you’re anything like Olivia, make sure to dictate the trends by purchasing a classy and stylish plaid blazer this fall.
03. The Tartan Skirt. If your plan on wearing tartan this fall revolves around the idea of recreating that sweet schoolgirl look with a modern twist, then maybe it’s time to introduce a tartan skirt to your current wardrobe. The rest of the details are pretty easy to incorporate, as you will only need a button down shirt, a chic pair of heels and a fancy bow tie to complete your lovely outfit.
04. The Plaid Dress. Who said this traditional plaid pattern can’t also be glamorous? If you’re going for a statement piece this fall, pick an extravagant full-length plaid dress in a fluid fabric, that will flatter your silhouette and accent your style. Finish the whimsical look with a remarkable set of subtle accessories and you’re all set.
05. The Tartan Pants. Cropped pants are a huge fashion statement at the moment, but when you add a tartan print into the mix, you get to be double trendy by selecting only one stylish wardrobe staple. It’s enough to add a black classic tailored coat, a white fitted button down shirt and a pair of heels to take the city by storm.
06. The Plaid Scarf. If you don’t feel like fully committing yourself to this particular trend, insert the plaid into your wardrobe through little details and smart accessories that would still make a difference. A plaid scarf is playful enough, without compromising the entire outfit idea. Think Burberry for instance and let yourself become fully inspired.
07. The Plaid Bag.Speaking of great accessories, how amazing is this plaid wool field messenger bag? It would make for the perfect fall accessory, adding enough edge and style to any outfit choice. It would be easy to carry around for school, work ,or for a day filled with errands to run across town.
08. The Plaid Shirt. And we’re back to the classics with this pretty plaid shirt idea for fall. Imagine how easy it would be to incorporate it in an outfit, without having to over-think the process or invest in any other complementary pieces. Achieve the perfect seasonal layer style with this wardrobe staple and always be fashionable.
In the end it”s totally up to you how much of this trend you want to incorporate in your wardrobe, but as far as possibilities go, you won’t ever have to stumble upon any blocks along the way. While the runways are still setting the tone, the stores are filled with options and the street styles offer plenty of inspiration for you to choose from.